Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rose Park- Individual #2


On a Saturday morning in Rose Park, I assumed that there would be people out and about visiting a park, shopping in the local stores, or even checking out a book at the library, but there wasn’t. It was interesting to see nothing going on in an area that has so many things to offer. The Rose Park area hosts many residential neighborhoods, a few parks, several stores, and numerous churches of many different religions. It was so interesting to see a place with such a diverse population of people and various offerings of services. I must say that my previous assumption of Rose Park through what I heard from other people was completely different than what I experienced. It was a beautiful residential area with very nice and well-kept parks.
            Although the diversity was evident through the few individuals I saw around the area, the prominent part of the population was Hispanics. This is not only evident through the people we saw, but also the stores and signs in the area. There were several stores that had Hispanic items as well as an Alcoholics Anonymous that was for Hispanic citizens. It was fun to be in an area with so much diversity.
            Speaking specifically of the residential areas, many of the streets were very nice and seemed like they would be friendly to visitors, but there were no visitors to be found. There were also paths around the neighborhoods that people could walk on, yet there was no one. I think the problem with these neighborhoods is that they are too closed. There are fences everywhere, cars parked all over the place, and trees that block the neighborhoods from being well lit. All of those things made these neighborhoods not so visitor friendly, which in turn discourages interactions between individuals in that area.
            Viewing Rose Park through Image of the City shows that it has all of the characteristics of a city. There are walking paths throughout, several nodes including the church areas, districts which consisted of shopping and living, landmarks which included the library and the parks in the area, as well as edges which were made by I-15 and Redwood Road, as well as 600 North and the Rose Park Golf Course.
            Rose Park was a very unique and diverse part of Salt Lake City. It had many characteristics of a big city with the small town feel. It was a beautiful part of Salt Lake City and I am glad that I had the chance to go out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment