Tuesday, December 13, 2011

group blog University Heights: 2nd South to 5th South and 13th East to Douglas Street




On a crisp Monday afternoon Rebecca, Colin, Kurt, Hillary, Lauren, and I (Jackie) headed down to the University Heights, 2nd South to 5th South and 13th East to Douglas Street. Our assignment was to observe the area and pay close attention to the architecture. As freshmen in college we all were bounding down the street. I walked right in the middle taking picture after picture of the interesting houses. Lauren and I were singing along to Adele’s hit “Someone Like You.” Our obnoxious behavior solicited a surprisingly warm response from the singular family that was outside at that time. They had a very friendly dog that I instantly asked to pet. Our group waved down an obvious University of Utah student to help us take our group picture. He was in a bit of a rush and quickly took the photo then departed. It was odd to be on a street where no one was out. Although I could imagine the welcoming and upbeat mood that would sweep over this street durning a big foot ball game. I don’t think that this street is often walked down just to see the neighborhood it is more of a functional place.

pastedGraphic_1.pdf pastedGraphic_2.pdf

pastedGraphic_3.pdf pastedGraphic_4.pdf

There were many revival cottages, bungalows, and colonial houses. They were not particularly well cared for or trashed. This area screamed college. There were not many Halloween decorations so there probably were not a lot of young children in the area. No one was out there were no children playing, this indicates a 18 to 25 age range that mostly populates this area. This area seems like either a good starter house area or a college rental area. The ambiance of the street however, was storybook perfect. There were enormous old trees that lined the street creating a beautiful intimate street. It reminded me of the drive up to my old high school. I have a desire to join this street even though it isn’t the dream area it is quaint and homey and this area would be perfect for me to live in while I go to school. I love looking at homes they are so unique and interesting I always fall in love with the old red brick houses or the cute gingerbread looking ones. So I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this district and is quirky homes.


No comments:

Post a Comment