On September 20, 2011 our group went on a walkabout to the religious district. Our first stop along the way was at the Conference Center. This is where the leaders of the LDS church meet twice a year and address the entire church body whether it be in person, radio or television. When our group entered the building it was obvious that we were somewhat out of place. Everybody was dressed in suits and speaking in hushed tones. But as we were greeted and asked about our reasons of being there I personally felt a sense of welcome from the tour guide and a genuine interest in what we were doing.
Our tour guide John took us on a tour of the center and told us about its origins and some of the sacred symbols that were in the center. He was a very nice man who was willing to answer questions and did his best to make sure that we felt like we were welcome.
Next we went inside the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and looked at some of the art work and a car exhibit that was on display. This building has a different feel from the conference center and didn’t have as much of a sacred feel to it. We then traveled over through temple square and looked at the flowers. Temple Square has a very different feeling. I feel like it is a place where I could sit and think about the life and truly be at peace. The religious district does have an air of exclusiveness just like any other historical church tourist attraction. One who isn’t of the LDS faith might feel a little out of place but as a whole the LDS church is usually very good about making people feel welcome.
Our group went inside of the visitor’s center. There were some sister missionary’s there who welcomed us and even joked around with us a little. We looked at a replica of the Salt Lake Temple and some of the members of the group asked about some of the ceremonies performed in the Temple and the people in our group who were members did our best to answer the questions.
Overall the experience at the religious district was a pleasant and informational experience. I am a member of the LDS church and so I did feel a sense of spirituality and connection while I was at temple square and in the conference center. Overall I would say that the tour guide and the sister missionaries and other people we met were nice and did their best to make our group feel welcome there.
No comments:
Post a Comment