Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Library; Personal Blog

When I went to the library with my group on our walkabout, I didn’t expect the amazing work of architecture I found there. Although I knew the library looked amazing on the outside, exploring the library was even more fantastic. I enjoyed staring through the windows, exploring the shelves of books, and riding the glass elevators. The library was built so that I don’t know where the back of the library is. The whole thing looked like the front. The entrance was anywhere, and it made the library all the more inviting. Inside the library are all sorts of fascinating shops, from a writing center and coffee shop to a game place, phone booth, and used-books shop. I feel that this wide variety of places, its grand and welcoming air through its architecture, presents it as the ideal and welcoming public place.
Indeed, people from everywhere and anywhere, no matter who they are, can enter the library and read books, play on the computer, or use the internet. I saw children, adults, and mostly lower to middle class people who don’t have the money to buy all the books they want to read. Whatever the reason for going to the library, it is a fascinating public place to be and is open to all sorts of people.
These people in the library are there to interact with words and knowledge, not necessarily other people. As a result, the communication between people is minimal, but the amount of reading and interaction between the library’s services and the people happens as long as there is a person. People are reading, doing things on the computer, and absorbing information. Everyone can use the library because it is a public place with its architecture designed to welcome people into its walls where they can learn; the library is a public place.
Not only is it a public place, but the library is also a landmark. I know that I mark my TRAX rides and stops around the library. It is an ideal location on an ideal corner with the TRAX moving right by, unloading and loading people as it passes. Moreover, several other important buildings lie around in the area, such as the City County building, but I hardly know that any of them are there. In contrast, I have known of the library for quite a long time, and I always notice it as I pass. Its unique and magnificent architecture, not to mention its welcoming atmosphere and willingness to serve, turns it into a landmark that I know and love. The library is an amazing and inspiring edifice because it welcomes people into its walls no matter who they are. Its architecture also has an amazing and welcoming air that makes me want to go there and explore the world through the pages of a book. It is a public place and a landmark for people to see, admire, and enter, no matter who they are.
I have enjoyed discovering the uses of the library to Salt Lake City by analyzing the library as a landmark and public place. I never would have thought of the library as such an important structure in the city, but now I see that it is very important to the people of Salt Lake City to go and discover, as well as to help them navigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment