As we observed all the different styles of houses such as Bungalows, Ranch Styles, Victorians, and Period Revivals we talked of how the houses were cute, quaint and seemed like they were from a Disney movie. They were definitely humble homes with smaller masses, often having covered porches and large, inviting front windows, yet nobody was really out and about enjoying the beautiful day. They also used their space efficiently, having long skinny driveways to the side of their house which allowed them to have a larger area in their front yard for relaxing and playing outside with friends or family.
I also thought it was a lot of fun to see the Victorian houses with multiple roof planes and pitches next to houses following the bungalow pattern of having a front porch and a public front with the back being more private because in my neighborhood a lot of the houses look the same and even have the same layout inside. The different houses was a refreshing change showing a lot of opportunity to be unique and make your house special.
All in all I thought this neighborhood was relaxing and an enjoyable place to spend part of an afternoon. I know I would feel comfortable moving into a neighborhood like this and felt like if I needed/wanted to I could approach anybody and ask them questions or just have a friendly conversation without it being weird. The man who stopped his bike ride to take our group picture was quite friendly and I got the feel that the whole neighborhood was like he was: smiling, helpful, and relaxed. I loved our time there and was sad to leave after our walkabout.



No comments:
Post a Comment