Monday, November 28, 2011

Individual Post-Rose Park

My group went to Rose Park for our second neighborhood walkabout. Despite the way our presentation made it out to be, I felt safe in the area and enjoyed seeing a different view of Salt Lake. One of the things that stood out to me was the tree-lined streets. I have always liked the look of streets with tall, sturdy trees along them. It gives a sense of establishment and welcoming to a neighborhood, and it was obvious that Rose Park has a lot of history and diversity associated with it.
Although we were unable to talk with any of the residents, Rose Park offered a variety of places for people to communicate and connect. We noticed a library, a few trails to walk on near the river, some very nice elementary schools, and a church. It was interesting to identify these as nodes, landmarks, and paths because it shows that the town wasn't just thrown together overnight; there was thought and careful planning put into making Rose Park comfortable and friendly. Our favorite part about Rose Park was the Riverside Park. It was well kept and a lot of fun. It felt like a place that I would feel comfortable sending my kids to play at if I lived there (and had children, of course).
Honestly, going into this walkabout I WAS under the impression that this was the "shady" part of town, because it was somewhere I'd never been and was not as clean and proper as Federal Heights, the location of our first neighborhood walkabout. However, after learning that Rose Park was established for returning G.I.s from WWII I saw that it was a nice place to call home, and had simply undergone the effects of time, as everything does. By Googling "Rose Park" you can easily see that it's well established and has mostly positive things to be said about it (Rose Park even has its own Wikipedia page!). Overall, it was good to see that Salt Lake isn't all tall buildings and Victorian houses. It's also a place where real, down-to-Earth people can call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment