Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fairpark: 1 individual post

This Sunday afternoon, my group went to do our walkabout in the Fairpark area, from N Temple to 6th N and I-15 to Redwood Rd. It was slightly cold out, but all in all a pleasant day, which was a relief as there had been a lot of rainy and snowy weather lately. Although it was a decently nice day, there were not many people out walking around. There were a few people in the neighborhood areas working in their yards, and some people walking to go shopping, but no one was just out for a stroll. The exception would probably be a group of younger kids who were sledding and playing in the new snow on a hill by the rec-center.

I was struck by how incredibly nice the gym was. It was equipped with an out-door playground area, indoor basketball courts, an extensive exercise room, two pools, and perhaps other amenities we did not see. I think this is a very important center for a community. It is nice for people to have somewhere where they can go with family, friends, or on their own to play or work out. I se it as a great place to meet people with similar interests, have fun, and stay health.

The neighborhoods seemed fairly nice. They were lower or lower middle class houses, but most had nice yards, and were obviously maintained. I also noticed a number of community garden lots. I think this, along with the community rec-center, shows a nice attention to community health and wellness.

The fair grounds were extensive, but there didn’t seem to be much use of them as no even was occurring. Likewise, the Jordan River trail looked nice, but didn’t seem to be receiving much use. Then again, this may have been due to the colder weather that we’ve been having recently.

The shopping center was busy, but didn’t seem to be offering that large of a variety of store options, which I found a little surprising as it is close to a pretty large residential area.

All in all, I found the area to be nice, with good opportunities for community growth. There seemed to be a healthy attention to promoting the community and aiding those who were a part of it.

Alex Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment