Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Westmoreland Place Individual #2


My group and I traveled to Westmoreland Place between 15th East and 13th South and I was instantly surprised by how much changed once we turned onto Westmoreland Drive. First of all, it was incredibly quiet and serene. The streets were calm, relaxed and cozy instead of busy with rush hour traffic. I would have never known that behind all the hustle and bustle of the city there was such a little slice of heaven.
I noticed that all of the houses were set back from the street more than the other surrounding areas and there was a large emphasis on yards, landscaping and seasonal decorations that evoked an authentic fall feel. As we wandered throughout the neighborhood I couldn't help but smile and enjoy the gorgeous fall day. As we marched through the leaves, we admired every house's unique features and what it brought to the overall feel of the neighborhood. Although nearly all the households seemed to be keeping to themselves, we did see a couple families playing in their front yards with their young children and enjoying the pleasant fall weather. The streets followed a completely different structure and layout than the surrounding neighborhoods. Rather than following a strict grid system, the streets went by names such as Colonial Drive and Harrison Avenue and were curved and met at random places instead of following exact blocks. Although this was a bit more confusing than the grid system I found that it was far more interesting and it created a whimsical feel in the neighborhood. All the houses were neutral and sophisticated, but they all brought their individual unique qualities to the neighborhood overall.
The vibes I got from the neighborhood were very positive. It came across as an upper middle class, well maintained, classy area. A lot of times when I walk through a neighborhood that seems well established and clean, I feel out of place, but this neighborhood was so classic and beautiful without being in your face or overdone. The majority of the houses were simple and I could tell the emphasis was on simple beauty, not overwhelming wealth.
Overall, I was impressed with the cleanliness and beauty of the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment